2.Information Relating to Application Process

2.1-What information do I need to provide when applying for a Carnet?

1. Details of the Carnet holder (company that is responsible for payment of any duties to foreign Customs if the document is misused)
2. Details of the person(s) who will be travelling with the goods
3. Intended use of the goods
4. List of goods taken. All the goods must be individually itemised with each item having its specific description (i.e. make, serial number), weight and value to facilitate Customs identification and prevent substitution of goods .

2.2- What are requirements for different types of goods?

General requirements:

  1. “Trade Fairs and Exhibitions” – in this case the Holder should provide the Issuing Chamber with a copy of the Exhibitor Permit* confirming that the vehicle will be exhibited at the specific event (* issuing Chamber needs to receive a copy of the Exhibitor Permit for non-European events only) 
  2. “Professional Equipment” – vehicles for racing, test driving or race support (i.e. breakdown trucks supporting an official racing event). In this case the Holder should provide issuing Chamber with a written confirmation** (i.e copy of the Race Participation Certificate) or a letter from the race organisers** showing that the Holder is taking part in a race or providing support vehicles for the race (** issuing Chamber needs to receive a copy of the Certificate or Letter for non-European events only) 
  3. “Professional Equipment” – specially adapted vehicles (i.e. broadcasting vehicles, exhibition trailers, catering vans, water filtration trucks etc). Equipment built into the vehicle should be listed separately. 

    Specially adapted vehicles can be driven on public roads, provided they are roadworthy, insured for use abroad and have breakdown cover.
2.3- How do I work out my itinerary (no of Exits, Visits and Transits)?

You will have to have a clear idea of how the goods will be travelling to their destination in order to work out the required itinerary.

Exits from UK are counted separately to visits and transits. For example – travelling to USA and Canada, without returning to the UK in between, will require 1 exit, 1 visit to USA and 1 visit to Canada. If the goods are returning to the UK in between, then you’d need 2 exits, 1 visit to USA and 1 visit to Canada. Naturally if the return journey is via USA, then you’d need to apply for 2 visits to USA etc.

Things to bear in mind:

When driving through EU to a non-EU country (for example a visit to Switzerland) – you must ensure that you also have a pair of vouchers for the return journey – so your itinerary would contain 1 exit from UK, 2 transits to EU and 1 visit to Switzerland.

When driving to an EU country via Switzerland (for example a visit to Italy) – you’d need 1 exit from UK, 2 transits to EU, 2 transits for Switzerland and 1 visit to EU:

When doing work in various EU countries (without passing through Switzerland) – you’d need 1 exit from UK and 1 visit to EU (transits are not required as the itinerary includes EU only – EU counts as one Customs territory):

If in doubt as to what could be required for your EU trip – either contact the issuing Chamber for advice or add a couple of additional sets of Vouchers (exits, visits and transits) to your itinerary to be on a safe side. Note that you can always request more Vouchers from the issuing Chamber if required (see section 3.5 of the FAQs).

2.4- Can I put consumable goods on a Carnet?

The only instance when consumable / perishable goods are allowed on a Carnet is if they are being exhibited at a Trade Fair or similar event (note that this excludes alcohol, fuel and cigarettes – which must be declared to Customs separately). The comments box at the end of the General List will have to specify that the goods will be displayed at an exhibition / trade fair and will be returning to the UK afterwards. 

Any perishables that will not be repatriated CANNOT go on a Carnet.

The same applies for any goods that are intended for processing or repair (you will need to use OPR and IPR instead).

2.5- Why do I have to provide a security?

The Carnet provides a guarantee to the foreign Customs that all duties, taxes etc will be paid to them if the conditions under which they allow these into the country are breached. The security is in place to protect the London Chamber of Commerce and Industry, as the UK National Guaranteeing Organisation, against foreign Customs claims in cases where the Carnet has been misused and the Carnet Holder is unable to settle charges due. 

Forms of security that we currently accept are as follows: Banker’s draft / cash deposit for the full security amount (refundable after the Carnet has been discharged), Bank guarantee issued by Bank of Scotland plc, Barclays Bank plc, HSBC Bank plc, Lloyds TSB Bank plc, Natwest Bank, Santander UK plc, Standard Chartered Bank, The Royal Bank of Scotland plc (guarantee is returned to your bank for cancellation after the Carnet has been discharged), Carnet Security Scheme (CSS) Guarantee – an in-house service by which the Carnet user can arrange for the security to be provided, without having to supply either Banker’s Draft, cash or Bank Guarantee. Using CSS- a non-refundable, one off payment -means we can provide you with a ‘While You Wait’ processing service and there is no ‘freezing’ of assets or funds (as with other institutions). 

2.6- How do I get the best value for money when applying for ATA Carnet?

1. Carnets are valid for 12 months – try to include any countries that you could potentially visit during that period into the itinerary
2. Include all the possible items you could take abroad in a 12 month period on the Carnet (you’d need to ensure that correct items are declared for each visit. For example if you’re visiting Switzerland first and are only taking the first 10 items on the list, then all declarations for that trip would have to show 1-10 for the items declared etc)
3. If you are attending an event with another person(s) that is also there in a commercial capacity, it will be cheaper to combine all the goods on one document (ensure that the name(s) of any persons travelling with those goods are listed in Box B of the Carnet to allow them to also use the document if required)
4. Regular Carnet users can get discounted issuing fees by becoming a member of the issuing Chamber 
5. When providing security – lodging the full security amount as a deposit / bankers draft would ensure that this is refunded to you once the Carnet is returned and discharged. Regular users should also consider setting up a continuing guarantee as this could reduce security costs considerably.

2.7- Can I sell of a Carnet?

Customs may allow the goods to be sold, on an exceptional basis, in which case the Carnet must be regularised correctly by the host Customs (Duty Paid Receipt number written on the Re-exportation Counterfoil and copy of the Duty Paid Receipt attached to the Carnet when returned to the issuing Chamber after use). Failure to obtain approval for selling the goods from the host Customs will result in a payment of duty, taxes, administrative charges, as well as a penalty

Note for exporters: Your local Chamber of Commerce can help you with lodging customs entries / declarations to support your permanent exports or imports into UK or with special procedures. Please click here for further information.

2.8- Can Dual use or Controlled goods be included on a Carnet?
2.9- How long can I stay in the country I am visiting?

ATA Carnets are valid for 12 months from the date of issue. Note, however, that some countries can place restrictions on how long the goods can stay there.

Please ensure that the receiving Customs are clear on how long your goods will be staying in the country (time limit is usually fixed according to the length of the stay / to coincide with the return flight). The time limit can also be fixed according to the intended use (i.e. exhibition goods could be limited to 6 months maximum stay in some countries).

Time limit will be indicated on the Importation Counterfoil. You will need to contact the host Customs and request extension if you need to stay in the country longer than indicated on the Importation Counterfoil.

If your goods have to stay at the destination beyond the validity of the Carnet, then you may have to request a Replacement Carnet (see section 5.6).